In the event of an emergency, call the emergency number 112.
Call the Medical Helpline 116 117 before you consider going to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department.
We make a care assessment as soon as you register at the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department. At the time of assessment, we decide, among other things, whether you need emergency care, and how quickly you need it. In the assessment, we also decide whether it will be a doctor or a nurse who takes care of you.
When should I go to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department?
In the following situations, you should always go directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department immediately:
- severe chest pain
- bleeding profusely
- severe respiratory distress or
- symptoms of a stroke (one or more of the following):
- difficulty to speak (cannot find the words or slurred speech)
- signs of facial paralysis where one of the corners of the mouth hangs or moves poorly
- numbness in the arms / legs
Call your local health centre during office hours if the matter concerns:
- stomach flu
- emergency contraception pill (the medicine is available from the pharmacy)
- renewal of prescriptions, medical certificates, extension of sick leave or assessment of working capacity
- statements or controls
- test or X-ray results
- prolonged aches or pains that are not due to injury
- removal of stitches
- measurement of blood pressure
- intoxication without other symptoms
- assessment of rashes, birthmarks and nodules
- vaccinations (non-acute)
- prolonged eczema.
The on-call help’s text messaging service is intended only for people who cannot hear or who cannot speak. Use of the service is free. The text messaging service throughout Finland is produced by HUS Uusimaa’s Medical Helpline. Read more about the emergency text messaging service.
Accident & Emergency (A&E) department at Vaasa Central Hospital
Y0 / Sandviksgatan 2-4, 65130 Vaasa
Medical helpline (private individuals)
Mon.-Thurs. from 15:00-08:00, Fri. from 14:00-08:00, Sat.-Sun. around the clock
Information about Emergency Services patients
06 213 1310
06 213 1318
Malmi Accident & Emergency (A&E) department , Pietarsaari
Kolpintie 7, 68601 Pietarsaari
Tel. 06 786 1333